Sunday 23 March 2014

Pear and Persimmon Chutney

My garden fresh harvest
Allowing my harvest and the offerings of my local providores dictate my menu is part of what makes locavorism both a challenge and a joy. My ever supportive fruit and veg retailers had some slightly past retailing pears and fragrant local persimmons and my mind automatically went into chutney mode. A rummage around my garden scored me a late season pear of our own, some chillies, lemons, nasturtium pods, rhubarb and lemon grass. My stores offered dried pears, currants and figs as well as spices and vinegar so here is what we did:

Pear and Persimmon Chutney

Chopped persimmons

Ingredients:

1 1/2 kg pears, chopped
6 persimmons, chopped
1 large red onion, diced
5 green chillies, sliced
5 stems rhubarb, sliced
2 tbs lemon rind, finely sliced
1 tbs nasturtium pods, finely sliced
500gm dried fruit
(I used diced dried pear, currants and diced figs)
The pickling liquid
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated

1 tsp cinnamon
100 ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
800 ml apple cider vinegar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup backstrap molasses


Chutneying down

Method:

Place all the ingredients below the fresh fruit in a large pot and bring to a simmer until the sugars dissolve, add the fresh fruit and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours.
Preserve in clean sterilised jars per the usual methods and set aside for 4 weeks for the flavour to develope.
Enjoy with curries, cheeses, cold meats, as a part of an antipasto platter, added to cream cheese as a dip or in a sandwich.

3 jars of perfect chutney












No comments:

Post a Comment